Whole roasted cauliflower provides a substantial and hearty main course for vegetarians at a holiday feast, instead of salad and pasta. This recipe is versatile enough to vary the marinade with seasons or specific holidays. Use sour cream and cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice during Thanksgiving for a festive feel. Add orange juice in the marinade for a Christmassy feel.
The finished product tastes great but also provides a beautiful presentation on the dinner table. Serve it in the same cast iron pan that it is roasted in for a rustic look.
|1||1||1||small head cauliflower - 5 inches diameter|
|1||1.5||2||teaspoon tandoori powder|
|1||1||1||thinly sliced shallot|
|1/4||1/2||3/4||cup chopped herbs (cilantro)|
- Pre-heat oven to 420º F.
- While the oven is heating, trim the cauliflower and cut the stock to line up with the bottom portion of the florets.
- Now assemble the marinade in a bowl or container large enough to hold the cauliflower. Mix the yogurt, tandoori powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt and shallots.
- Pour some of the marinade in the bottom of the container and place the cauliflower head side down in the marinade. Drop the rest of the marinade through the space between the florets so it is completely covered in the marinade.
- At this stage, you can keep the cauliflower in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- Once the oven is heated, place cauliflower the right way in a cast iron pan. Pour the rest of the marinade in and around the cauliflower in the pan. Add half a cup of water to the pan.
- Tightly cover the pan with foil and bake it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and lower the temperature to 350º F and roast it for an additional 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped herbs and pour any leftover marinade over the cauliflower.
|Broccoli||Barbecue sauce||Sour cream||Garlic||Mint|
|Brussel Sprouts||Salt + pepper||Cream||Shallots||Parsley|
|Root vegetables||Hoisin sauce||Buttermilk||Basil|
- The cauliflower can be chopped as well and need not be kept whole. In fact a mix of different colored cauliflowers look and taste beautiful served on a large platter.
- Adjust seasonings after the cauliflower or vegetables are cooked, a squeeze of lime or lemon juice, some chopped nuts or pickled onions will all brighten up this dish with flavor and color.