If you like mangoes, this roasted mango dressing is very versatile and can be used as a dip or diluted for a salad dressing or somewhere in between for a dressing on a slaw. This is a very economical way to use shriveled up mangoes that are not firm enough to eat.
The dressing can be made with raw or ripe mangoes. Roasting the mangoes adds a smokiness and an unexpected flavor to the dressing. The key is to char the mangoes completely for a depth of flavor. The mango pulp is thick enough that no thickening agents are required. In fact you may need to add some water to reach a desired level of viscosity.
If you are using raw mangoes, add a sweetener like maple syrup or brown sugar to balance the sourness. If the ripe mango is too sweet, then add lemon or lime juice to balance the sweetness.
Fresh herbs are important and lend another dimension to this dressing. Cilantro, mint, and parsley all pair very well with mangoes.
|1||1.5||2||tablespoons roasted cumin seeds|
|1||1||1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1/4||1/2||3/4||cup chopped herbs (cilantro)|
- Roast the mangoes completely on a grill or on the flame of your gas range until completely blackened. Set aside in a bowl until cool.
- While the mangoes are cooling, toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan until light brown. The aroma of the roasting seeds should be a cue to stop and take it off the flame and empty into a cool bowl. Keeping it in the hot pan might burn the seeds and make it bitter.
- Add the cooled mango, toasted cumin, chilies, herbs and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- At this step, the blended condiment can be used as a dip or a sandwich spread.
- For a zesty salad dressing add a ¼ of a cup of oil to ¾ cup of the blended mix. Adjust the salt once the oil is added.
|Mangoes||Cummin||Ginger||Small green chilies||Cilantro|
|Pineapple||Mix of the two||Leeks||Banana peppers||Parsley|
- If you are using peeled fruit (e.g. pineapple), then roast on grill pan or grill and not on the gas.
- Ginger or garlic add an additional profile to the flavor and can be used together or one at a time.
- Do not skip on the fresh herbs. If cilantro feels soapy to you, then add mint or parsley.