This bbq chicken is an all-season dish. No grill is required when you have an air fryer. The result in the air fryer is as good as an outdoor grill. Trader Joe’s BBQ 101 seasoning is the perfect mix of bbq spices for novices like me. It has a recognizable barbeque flavor. If you are a chili head, you can add half a teaspoon of chili flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the marinade. In this recipe, I used it as it is to get a baseline taste. BBQ chicken is as close as it gets to another one of my favorite chicken dishes - tandoori chicken.
I used chicken legs this week, but it works on chicken thighs and chicken breasts. You will need to flip them halfway through the cooking time for a nice crust on both sides.
- 4-5 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon Trader Joe’s BBQ seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice or vinegar.
- Mix all ingredients (except chicken) in a bowl large enough to accommodate chicken legs.
- Add chicken and legs and coat thoroughly
- Marinade for a couple of hours, but no more than overnight.
- Add chicken legs to the air fryer and cook for 17-20 minutes turning halfway through.
Read instructions for the air fryer carefully for actual cooking times.