After the avocado toast, mushroom on toast is one of my other anytime meals. It is quick and easy to make without too many ingredients. I have it with a soft-boiled egg for breakfast or top it with grilled chicken and a salad for lunch or dinner. The ingredients in this dish are few and very flexible. Some onions, mustard, chili flakes, and garlic - that’s it. The best part is you can use any mushrooms available readily.
Good hearty bread is very critical to this dish. I love sourdough bread, but any firm baguette or french bread should work as well.
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 pound sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- ¼ cup of shredded gruyere chese
- 2 boiled egg
- Optional: Olive oil or flavored oil to drizzle and fresh herbs.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and gently add the eggs once it comes to a boil. Set a timer for 7 minutes. At the 7 minute mark, remove the eggs from the boiling water and add to a bowl of ice and cold water.
- Heat oil in a large flat bottomed skillet and add chili flakes and garlic once hot, stirring for a minute.
- Add onion, mustard, and salt and stir for 5-6 minutes until onions are softened.
- Next, add mushrooms and stir on medium to high heat until the mushrooms are browned and the liquid has evaporated.
- Peel the softboiled egg and cut them into halves.
- Toast the sourdough slices and top with hot mushrooms and sprinkle a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
- Don’t forget to drizzle with a touch of olive oil.